Happy Meatless Monday! Here's tonight's dinner. Please to enjoy.
This is a basic recipe that can be used with myriad other root vegetables like beets, potatoes, celery root and fennel. I gave it a hearty drizzle of sri racha, but it's just as tasty without.
- 4-5 medium-sized yams cut into large pieces
- 5-6 small parsnips cut into similar-sized pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into large chunks
- Canola oil
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. each toasted coriander and cumin seed, crushed
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Several grinds of fresh black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 F. Drizzle the yams, parsnips and red onion with canola oil until they are well coated. Put them on a sheet tray and roast them for 20 minutes or until very soft. Transfer them to a stockpot and add coconut milk, vegetable stock, seasonings and vinegar. Bring to a high simmer, then cover with a lid (tip it slightly to allow steam to escape) and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the yams and parsnips are very soft. Purée with a handheld immersion blender until very smooth. Serves 8-12.