Verrrrry nice on a hot day, especially when you include the preserved lemon. Keeps those electrolyte levels up, dontcha know!
Lushy Lemonade: rhubarb, vanilla and saffron simple syrup muddled with fresh and preserved lemons, topped with fizz.#cookingclasses #lesacooks #notamixologist #summerscoming
For the simple syrup:
- Four or five 8-9”stalks rhubarb, chopped
- 3 cups each water and sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon Spanish saffron
For the lemonade:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 oz sparkling water or 5 oz water plus 1 oz vodka
- 1-2 tablespoons simple syrup
- Preserved lemon slices, to garnish (optional)
Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, add rhubarb, then cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb is very soft. Remove from heat and strain through a sieve into a glass quart jar, pressing the rhubarb against the mesh to extract maximum flavor. Add vanilla bean paste and saffron. Cover and infuse at room temperature for up to 8 hours, then refrigerate for up to a week. Strain once more before mixing into drinks.
To make one Lushy Lemonade: Combine lemon juice, water and optional vodka, and simple syrup in an 8-12 ounce glass, stir with a swizzle stick or straw, and top with ice. If desired, rim the edge with preserved lemon and perch it on the side of the glass or drop it into the drink.
1 comment on “Lushy Lemonade”