Thanks to everyone who’s joined me so far for my awesome new class at PCC, Mediterranean Grill! This is the salad that I whip up for guests before we get cookin’, just so I’m not staring down a class of the hangries. Enjoy!
- 1 whole fennel bulb, trimmed of stalks and bulb sliced lengthwise into 1″ thick slices, fronds chopped and reserved
- 1 small yellow or red onion, peeled and sliced width-wise into 2″ thick slices
- 2-3 teaspoons high heat oil
- 2-3 small purple or green endive, sliced in half
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cut into julienne slices
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat a grill pan or cast iron griddle over high heat for 2-3 minutes. brush with oil and place the fennel bulbs, onion and endive on the hot surface. Work in batches if needed to allow plenty of room between the ingredients. Let them sear at high heat for about a minute on each side and remove to a cutting board. When they are cool enough to handle, roughly chop them all and toss them in a medium sized bowl with the apple. add vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, and reserved fennel fronds, and mix again. Serve immediately. Serves 2.